Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Playing Right on Time


I'm an indecisive mess when it comes to choosing what board games to play solo. Every night, when I have some free time to myself, I get so caught up in going through my selection that I end up throwing my hands up in frustration and watching TV in the end.

Not this week, though.

To make things easier for myself, I've decided ahead of time what games to dedicate myself to play, no matter what. Before this week began, I set myself a simple list of what games to play each night (#SoloWeekLongCon):

  • Monday: Suburbia
  • Tuesday: Imperial Settlers
  • Wednesday: Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy
  • Thursday: Fields of Arle
  • Friday: Robinson Crusoe

That's it. No rummaging through my piles, figuring out what I want to play. My games are pre-allocated in their time slots. All I have to do is get them out and play them.

And it's been working so far. Being able to plunk down immediately with a board game is refreshing; I can set up a game with purpose and confidence, knowing that I WILL play this from start to finish. It's a minor thing, for sure, but it was crucial in determining why most of my games capable of solo variants still get under-played. Given that I have ~2 hours to myself each night, it's very feasible to play at least one game with myself, and removing the distraction of choosing a game helps maximize the amount of game time.

Today will be my biggest challenge, seeing that I haven't ever started a game of Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy since receiving my copy. At least I know I'll definitely be playing it, according to schedule.

No comments: