Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Board Game New Year Resolutions. HAPPY NEW CHAIR!


It’s 2018, and it’s been a while since I tried to revisit any form of New Years resolutions in the blog, not since I disavowed making them years ago and jokingly making the ONLY resolution that year to NEVER make another New Years Resolution. Past me was hi-LAR-ious.

But time went by, and things have happened, and I think there are some manageable ways to craft these resolutions instead of the impulse-charged lose-weight-blog-more ones I’ve done in the past. And while yes, I’m writing this at the dawn of the new year, things like this really shouldn’t warrant a complete rotation around the sun for me to initiate (I’d sooner start late April, if I’m honest), but others are feeling it, so might as well join in the “festivities.” Let’s start, shall we?

Play My Current Collection



This is not a “wall of shame” resolution (which, by the way, I’m NOT making because I shouldn’t have to shame my own hobby to motivate); this is merely a statement to myself that I don’t need the latest-and-greatest to feel whole and complete. There are games in here that are rightfully there, and they deserve much more time at the table because they are that great. And while previous goal-minded lists like the 10x10 or 52x1 challenge focus their plays to a set value (I even set one up for 2017, will need to revisit that sometime...), I believe in just encompassing my own collection as a goal is just as big an incentive as any finite goal list.

Playing my current collection also means managing what goes into it, and I’m proud to report that I’ve been more than diligent at keeping that to a trickle, allowing in what I know I’ll play within a reasonable amount of time. Of course, that means I’ll skip on a LOT of other games that I see others playing, but I gotta watch out for myself.


Play an “Old” Game, Once a Month



I’m done with the “cult-of-the-new.” Why look past the horizon for brand-new games when there are SO MANY other games from years past that have escaped my scope? Sure, many that require multiple players have eluded me, but that shouldn’t stop me from at least trying to play with others. Realistically, any game I’ve not played yet is absolutely brand new to me, so older games are just as relevant as the new stuff. Just the other day I saw someone posted about Tichu, a card game that came out in, what, 1991?? It looks so dead simple and a lot of fun, and it’s in enough people’s hands that it shouldn’t be hard to find a group to play it with. Speaking of which…

Join/Create a Gaming Group



Gone are the excuses that I can’t find any group. There are so many ways to search for groups that it’s just now a matter of sucking up and braving unknown territory.

Or…what better way to get into a gaming group than starting your own? You already own a vast collection of board games that you’d play, you just need to gather a bunch of like-minded friends for a day of gaming. Maybe throw out a flyer at work, or just round up a bunch of close friends for one night of small games. Or, if you’re really adventurous enough, create a group in one of those online meet-up sites and wait to make new friends. If you’re not joining game groups, you may be meant to lead one. Be the special!

Making Time for Gaming



Think of this as “playing more games” v2.3, where it’s much more than that. Everyone says that, but it’s so abstract and vague. There are SO MANY OTHER factors that can affect this one resolution’s outcome. So, this resolution is set to tackle ALL those factors. Sure, there are the main things like time, family, work, etc…but there are other finer points to consider, like component management, keeping a tidy table, and practicing setup. Because all of these little things, when done efficiently, "makes" more time for you to play.

We all mean well when we play, then try to play, then have to learn the rules, then fumble on setup, then ultimately give up. But if spend some time learning the rules ahead of time, organizing your board game for maximum efficient setup, and practice setting up that game, all of a sudden, all those little burdens are lifted, and all you're left with is a wonderful game to play. So yeah, learn to "make" time for your games. They're worth the effort. Even being comfortable while sitting to play is important. Which brings me to...

A NEW CHAIR



For YEARS, I’ve sat on a simple $20 Ikea chair like…well, a chair. I really thought nothing of it, figuring that all those uncomfortable moments of sitting down could be solved with simple cushions or just leaning towards the table. And for years, every time I sat down to rest in Cost Plus, I thought the wooden chairs were no different. Until I sat on this one.

Birds were singing. Skies were bluer. My rear felt no fear as it sat there flat. I’m NEVER the type who likes to sit on bare wooden chairs, but this one just cradled me just right. My knees bent in a perfect 90-degree angle as I gently laid my back against the welcomingly-wide backside of the chair. Were it not for its sheer comfort, I would’ve leapt up immediately to purchase. Even then, I’d have to wait for it to arrive, and when it did, I assembled it quick.

Y’know how when you see the love of your life, you can foresee your future unfold in their eyes? That’s me with this chair, imagining all the board games I’ll play in full comfort. Hell, I’m melting in this chair RIGHT NOW writing this blog article.

I’m riding into 2018 on this chair.


No comments: