Monday, May 12, 2008

The wheel's not ALL bad...

Okay, I've stayed away from reviewing this thing long enough. It's the game that's everyone's praising or hating - Mario Kart Wii.

By now, you've probably read reviews on how the Wii Wheel handles, and that half of them say to stay clear of it. The other half thinks it's an innovative feature that is an absolute must.

I'm not gonna say either of those things. All I'm gonna say is give it a try.

I treat anyone that reads my blog with a good degree of respect. No one should have to actually do anything an article says them to do. In fact, by telling people to not do something, it inversely compels them to actually go and do it. Of course, that privilege does not extend to me telling you not to jump off a bridge, only to have you actually do it.

The main point is, if you like the game, you'll give the wheel a try. Want my opinions? Here's the gist of it:

1. I was terrible at it the first time.
2. The learning curve was relatively short. I got good in about an hour.
3. It's not as sensitive as people think. I think people are just trying to jerk the wheel to the left or right severely, thinking that it would respond just as fast. It won't, so don't.

Wanna know what I didn't like?

1. Controlling motorcycles is a bit more sensitive with the wheel.
2. Sometimes hard to pull off the mini-boost after a jump (shaking the Wii-mote after a jump).
3. No resistance/support when turning.

Wanna know why I think people blame the wheel?

1. The game's Mario Kart - they're notorious for annoying AI, and annoying AI would make anyone think their controller's messed up.
2. They're not patient with the wheel (see above comment about sensitivity).
3. They suck, but don't want to admit it. A worker blames his tools.

All I'm saying is to give the wheel a shot. If you don't like it, feel free to send it my way. I need the extra one for my wife.

That's right, you heard me. My wife is a racer, and enjoys the control scheme. The only review that means something to me is my wife's, and that already says a lot.

No comments: