Thursday, January 8, 2015

Solo-nely


Within my close-friend radius, I'm probably the only "hardcore" boardgamer here. I'm fully aware of that trait, and proudly stand by it. And yes, most of the time I'm very alone in that regard. So I find solo variants all the time, to occupy what I would normally share with others.

It's not like I don't try to set up game nights, or that no one has graciously extended invitations for me to join in their board game festivities. The biggest decider is time, and I have very little that's free. It's a crutch I've tried to walk off as I regrettably cancel events and decline excursions. I still firmly believe family is above all else, but when I have my own time to spend and no one else to share it, it's a depressing moment.

Taps on the Glass


It gets me excited when I see lots of other people in social media enjoying board games, or whenever I find good videos of review and play-throughs. But I still feel like I'm on the other side of the looking glass, peering in. It's like making my own little board game world, and then I lock myself out.

It's not a healthy way to look at it. Most of the time, I'm really quite happy to see all the excitement around board games! It's just the small part of me that cries out "I wish I was there" that pangs against the heart, especially at all the con pics. To be surrounded by that energy must be the best, and I only get to experience this myself for half a day a year, perhaps.

Family First


With the latest addition to my own family, personal time is crucially low. It's now not what I can play, but how can I play something with the time I DO have. No matter what, family takes precedence. Which means, I do what I can to work my casual time around that.

This, in no way, is me admitting my family's a burden. Far from it. But I'd be a fool to not at least acknowledge it in my struggle. The fact that my wife will play with me from time to time, even spending some to learn something new, is more than enough for me. It's a process I'm willing to endure and cultivate. I even got my daughter to get excited for some of her own-age board games enough for her to approach me on her own, asking for another game.

Life Variant


If I really think about it, my whole life is a solo variant. And that's okay! I still challenge others online through iOS apps, I still interact with the board game community, and I still LOVE board games. I still feel a bit down when I'm the only one out there enjoying this. But I must remember, in 2014:

  • I started more game nights in 2014 than I thought I'd ever would.
  • I've met and interacted with many board game community people than ever before
  • And I got at least one other person as excited in the hobby as I am.

If my 2015 can be more of this, then maybe I won't be flying solo for long.

No comments: