Monday, October 22, 2007

I'm gonna need more popcorn...

Video games come with a lot of claims. Realistic graphics, awesome gameplay, great multiplayer...but two claims that I don't think work together are the "movie-like scenes" and "over X hours of gameplay."

I enjoy my movies, and I enjoy a lot of gameplay value...but together? I wouldn't want to watch an 80-hour movie, nor do I want to play a game with half of that time in movie-like cutscenes.

Sure, what most companies mean is that the game's plot and story will "flow" like a movie. But sometimes they flow too much. Like "Xenosaga Episode 1" too much. Or "Metal Gear Solid 2" too much. Of course, on the other end of the spectrum game companies get heckled for single-digit gameplay hours.

Somehow, I don't think any resolution is near. I mean, there are 2-hour movie-based games, and then there are games with tons of gameplay with hardly a lick of movie-like cutscenes.

1 comment:

sweetea said...

I agree. More kettle corn over here please!