Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Luke Edwards, I am not...

I'll admit, I'm one of those gamers who constantly buy games and play them halfway - or until the next great game is released and purchased, and then played halfway until...well, you get the idea. Of course, this is a costly endeavor that needs to change.

So, I've been trying my best to dedicate myself in a game wholeheartedly, blocking any upcoming releases and current games I own until I finish that game. I'm happy to report that my first game completed in this format is Odin Sphere (which, by the way, is an awesome game), and am almost through my second game, Okami (which I have put aside since...*gulp*...last year).

That doesn't mean I don't finish games. But, the majority of those finished titles were on my DS, like Ouendan 2, Phoenix Wright, and the like - games that don't require too much knowledge from the start. That way, I don't have to remember too much when I return to them after a 1-2 month hiatus. It's just the console games that kill me, since my game time's severely limited, what with my workload and...what is it called...a life.

Of course, this doesn't necessarily stop me from buying games and not opening them until when appropriate - or whenever I cave in. But even this is limited to any games that I truly, truly am willing to spend money on. So, perhaps during playing one game, I might buy 2 more for later. Believe it or not, this is better than before.

And what's up with those critics complaining on a game's short play-through? I'll tell you this - I'm probably the only person out there who was (briefly) pleasantly happy when I finished Starfox Command. And when I say "finished," I mean just the story and not going through another play-through for more unlockables. Believe me, "finished" and "completed" can be drawn out into a whole new debate, but I'll save that one for later...

And this isn't my first attempt trying to finish the games in my library. I've made a list of games a couple of years ago that I haven't finished yet and, needless to say, that seriously punched me in the video-game balls after that list grew past the 40s.

Would you believe that back in the NES days, I called myself "The Wizard" and was proudly making a list of completed games I've finished on my 386, printing them out on paper with the removable paper-feed notches on the side?

Great...now I feel depressed and embarrassed. Better finish Okami soon so I can feel better...until the next game I need to finish.

No comments: