Thursday, October 4, 2007

Retro sprites FTW!

To say I am excited for Smash Bros. Brawl is an extreme understatement. I played Super Smash Bros. Melee to death; I've played 30-minute battles with my old college roommates end after end just to accumulate times and stats to unlock all the extra stuff, unlocked all characters and trophies, and, with the help of friends, completed all the missions in the game.

So, you can imagine how torturous it is to see one tidbit revealed each weekday at the Smash Bros Dojo site. Being a veteran of the game's style, the majority of these small updates doesn't make me jump for joy. But now and then, the smallest things are getting me antsy - like yesterday's update of sprite assist tropies, which used Excitebike as an example.

And I thought Game and Watch was a pretty cool 2D character in Melee...now we're talking about laying the smackdown with a 2D retro sprite from way-back-when!

How much pwnage is that?

What would be great is if one of the cyclists fell off his bike, got on again, and was the last person to dole out damage. And if that last bit of damage knocked a player out of the game. That would be purely awesome. There's one thing that I'd like to see Nintendo do, and that is to do a better pause/replay function. The last game was pleasantly nice with the ability to pan the camera around and take pictures, but that required a 4th controller who wasn't playing to just take pictures. C'mon, I want to see full replays. Like Halo 3 replays.

1 comment:

sweetea said...

I relish in the reminiscence of old game characters and to use their abilities in a crazy non stop combat mode. That's just awesome!

Eh but what do I know. I just jump around and avoid all attacks hoping that I might be the last one standing. :D