Friday, November 2, 2007

I haven't played a good point-and-click adventure game since...

I'm a LucasArts fanboy.

There, I said it.

But, before you accuse me of worshiping everything that George Lucas walks on, I'm only a fanboy of their classic point-and-click adventures. I miss my Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, and, of course, all the Monkey Island iterations. The combination of logical puzzles, good story development, and heaping spoonfuls of humor and wit made each game absolutely a joy to play and reminisce about.

Nowadays, however, the need for more blood and violence seems to take center stage, while the need to laugh is left backstage.

Lucky for you guys, Capcom released Zack and Wiki.

I have to say, I wasn't following the game too closely before its release because...well, it looked childish. I admit that appearances made me less interested in a game. Now, after playing a few levels, the graphics are the farthest concern in my mind.

This is the most clever way of disguising the Wii Remote as a puzzle-solving device, without making yourself look like such a tool. Thanks to the different scenarios and hilarious outcomes that each level brings, you really feel like you're accomplishing something wonderful. Also, despite that the voice acting is mostly gibberish, the main characters' calling of each other's names in a playful, Japanese tone makes it all the more unique.

And don't let the kiddie look put you off - the difficulty is pretty deep in this game. I'm not ashamed to say I've died a few times trying to figure out a puzzle, but I'll be damned if I used any of the Oracle dolls to give me any hints.

Oh, and did I mention that this is all just $39.99? No? Well, it is. Yeah, I know! Definitely a recommended purchase, in a sea of crappy Wii titles.

No comments: