Saturday, November 29, 2014

NoBloMo #27 - My One Black Friday Deal


Before kids, before marriage, before crazy jobs, Black Friday deals were somewhat doable. If I had the stamina to wake up at some ungodly hour just to go out in the bitter cold and stand in line for something I know will be gone in the first 30 minutes, then why the hell not? Sure, there would be ungodly mobs with the same goals, shoving you at the start of the sale, but it was all for a good bargain, right?

Today? I started Black Friday at 3 pm, going to my FLGS.

That's probably the latest I've ever started a Black Friday...mainly because I really don't care for it anymore. Plus, I think I would get stares if people saw me drag a two-and-a-half year old girl and a pregnant spouse to wait in line at 5:30 in the freezing morning. But I certainly got a hell of a good sleep this morning.

Digitally, however, I did my typical scouring of online deals, scoping out what I've been thinking about purchasing and making my typical price comparisons, coordinating with timed deals and making judgement calls. But even after all of that, I was still on the fence on a lot of them.

There's also the fact my second child is due REALLY soon, of course.

In the end, however, the best deal turned out not to be some "doorbuster" nor something that was sold in limited quantity, nor was it anything that was on a timed basis. Turns out, I found exactly what I was looking for (with a reasonable discount) in, of all places, a Barnes & Noble. With a "30% off one item" coupon in hand, I found Pandemic: The Cure in stock. At about 5:30 pm, no less.


That was my perfect Black Friday in a nutshell; a late, well-rested start, minimal walking, and finding the ONE deal I wanted. This beats all previous Black Friday moments, hands down.

I couldn't end the day without at least trying the game out, in all its colorful glory. I lost, by the way. I LOVE IT!


No comments: