Monday, November 3, 2014

NoBloMo #2 - The Origins of Gameritis


So, how did "Gameritis" came about?

I wasn't entirely new to the blogging scene. In fact, I had a previous site full of my love for Animal Crossing, called "Animal Droppings." It was a site where I made four-panel comics composed of screenshot captures from the game, along with a little bit of Photoshop tweeking. There was some humorous moments in there, but the fad died along with the site. It was also the time when I figured out how vicious the Penny-Arcade forums can be to people who attempt to promote their screenshot-captured Animal Crossings comic. (Spoiler-alert: MEGA AGGRO)

(I tried to find my old stuff, site, and comics, but came up short. If you find anything, though, let me know!)

Despite all that, I enjoyed video games in general, and found myself wanting to write more than create comics. Being overtly self-aware of my addiction to anything gaming, I decided to name my site as "Gameritis," making it sound like some serious affliction that can be contracted. In fact, my first descriptive subtitle was a colorful dictionary-like description of the disease, with specific notes of it "affecting married people" and other things.

It didn't take long for me to adopt the username "GameritisGuy" for myself. It's stuck ever since, and rolls off the tongue easily. I even referred to my wife as "GameritisGal," though I never have gotten to use it as much.

That's it for today! Stay tuned for tomorrow, when I talk about Gameritis: the early years!

No comments: