Sunday, November 30, 2014

NoBloMo #29 - A Letter


[This letter is still in drafting phases, but it's something I will eventually complete and execute in the end. This is yet another draft.]

Dear Alexa,

If the current me has done his job well, you will have received what you hold in your hands from me only when I thought you were ready. And to me now, GOOD JOB!

Unfortunately, it doesn't take a psychic to know that the common ones have stood their testament of time, and that I probably wasn't able to stop them from being entered into your life. But by now, I hope you realize that there is so much more to this hobby than you were brought up with. The ones up until now are a good gateway...an introduction, if you will. But it's time you moved on to bigger, better things.

So, I'm entrusting you with the first game that showed me more: my signed copy of Pandemic, by Matt Leacock. Yes, he's the game designer, a title I hope you've come to respect after my tutoring. This is a well-played copy, mostly by myself, though I hope I've had more games with your mom by now. This is a game where you must save the world from 4 viruses that threaten to infect the human race.

You will panic. You will screw up. You will make mistakes. And you will lose.

And, if I have taught you well, you will want to play again.


I've returned to this game time and time again, and it has not failed to surprise me at each attempt. It has been reliable to me, as I hope it will be to you.

Now, put down this letter, and play a game of this with your father.

Love,

Dad



No comments: