Tuesday, November 25, 2014

NoBloMo #24 - Pocket Meeples


Meeples. We see them everywhere in board games, sometimes in mass quantities, and some just acting as pawn on a board to move. Today, I'm more focused on the latter, and what you can do to make yourself stand out by one simple thing - a pocket meeple to call your own.

What's a Pocket Meeple?


Anything, really. Preferably something you can stand vertically, and that won't topple easily. You can decorate an existing pawn or meeple, or repurpose anything you choose as your own token to use. For me, I first figured this out just after I bought Monopoly Deal, which included a mini pewter robot token to be used in your regular Monopoly game.


YEAH, RIGHT! This little token now lives in my coat jacket, ready to be whipped out at a moment's notice. Suddenly, I can have a robot saving the world of disease in Pandemic, or have him ride a sled in Snow Tails, or just use him as a first player marker in Imperial Settlers! The uses are endless! I mean, look at this itty-bitty thing!


But I Don't Have a Robot Token!


Y'know what's the next best thing? You can BUY it.

Not a custom meeple token, mind you. Well, you can already buy those...but those are more in bulk. No, what I'm talking about is a necklace.

Take, for instance, my recent need to have a nice TARDIS player token. Now, I could craft one out of wood and paint it myself, but I know I've seen a necklace of one before, and so I sought it out. Lo and behold, a necklace of the TARDIS, all in pewter AND it's painted!


All it takes is a quick removal of the necklace part, and VOILA! Instant pocket meeple!



A Connection Between You and the Game


Now, put it in your pocket. That's it.

The point to all of this is that you carry around with you a unique player piece that is always yours in ANY game you happen to find yourself playing. It distinguishes you as one-of-a-kind, in both game and self. When not in a game, having this in your pocket is a pleasant reminder that you're a board gamer, and that you're ready to play at a moment's notice. In a grander scale of things, it marks you as a unique meeple, moving through this game we call life.

What can you craft/repurpose as your own pocket meeple? Let me know in the comments!

No comments: