Friday, November 7, 2014

NoBloMo #6 - Twitter


It's funny. I started my Twitter account in 2009 as a portable way to connect to people through my Blackberry, while walking the floors of E3. I'll save you the exposure of those early tweets, which are SUPER boring. BUT, my account existed, so I decided to leverage it for more exposure back in 2011. And 2012.

Circa 2013, and I've started to post more in Twitter. My board game obsession began sprouting, and I had less than 20 followers. I don't recall what happened after that, but the more I clicked around, the more people I found who had the same interests. Originally, I increased my Twitter usage due to Shut Up Show and Attack of the Show, but soon I found more board game enthusiasts, finding Twitter accounts of popular board game reviewers to follow.

And then, it happened. I started getting followers.

I don't know how it quite began, but I want to believe the catalyst was Rhiannon Ochs (@rhiochs), a boardgame siren who followed me first. For the longest time, I had a bunch of spambots and random people follow me, but seeing someone real like Rhiannon both intrigued and frightened me. Soon, I fell in love with her countless board game pics, and gravitated toward pics from others, and others, and others, until my feed was a flood of board game fanatics.

What started as a way to promote my blog suddenly became a Twitter gathering of like-minded individuals who shared their passion for board games. Now, with 500+ followers later, my cardboard hobby suddenly became richer. So, to everyone I follow, thank you for making me feel so welcome!

No comments: